Checking in, and yes I have a question. :)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself To The Community' started by Scott Ar, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Scott Ar

Scott Ar New Member

Hi, my name is Scott. I'm from Las Vegas, NV, USA

I've been a computer enthusiast for about 10 years, but have gotten away from new builds until recently.
    Planning a build right now. I'm going to re-use what I can, such as case, PSU, etc., but have purchased an Intel 6600K chip and will be getting a Z170 board and some RAM, anyday. I used to overclock quite a bit, but probably will not be doing too much of that. I just want as fast of a system, "out of the box" as I can assemble, with a mind to trying to keep costs down. To a degree...

I'm interested in using a 256GB, M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe 3.0 x4 card as my boot drive,

I was wondering if I can still use Windows 7 with one of these. I'm assumimg that Win 7 doesn't have the drivers. so how does one do it? I'd really rather not use Windows 10, whatsoever.
    If I can't use Windows 7, is it possible to use Linux using one of these cards as a boot drive?

Lastly, though expensive, I'm leaning toward a Samsung 950 Pro card. Is this a wise choice for my needs? From the, somewhat, limited research into these cards, I've done, it seems to be the best of the class.

Is there a better choice?

Thank you, in advance.

2. The SSD Guy

The SSD Guy Administrator Staff Member

The latest and greatest is Win 10 and we don't test with Win 7 but some boards have been updated to include that. The 950/960 pro is a fine choice. Glad to help!